How we pick our products
Camu-Camu is a small bushy riverside tree from the Amazon rainforest in Peru and Brazil. The main claim to fame of this fruit is its concentration of vitamin C, flavonoids (anthocyanins) and carotenoids. Camu-camu’s potent antioxidant action makes it one of the best supplements for slowing the signs of aging and prevent degenerative diseases associated with oxidative stress.
In the United Kingdom, there are a plethora of camu-camu supplements. You will find them in the form of capsules and dehydrated powder. The use of these products not only helps you improve your overall health, but they are also an excellent complement to skincare. Throughout this guide, we will share all of our knowledge about camu-camu so that you can make the most out of its use.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best Camu-Camu Products in the UK Market
- 3 Shopping guide: Everything You Should Know About Camu-Camu
- 3.1 What is camu-camu exactly?
- 3.2 What nutrients does camu-camu provide?
- 3.3 What are the beneficial properties of camu-camu?
- 3.4 How much vitamin C does camu-camu provide?
- 3.5 Who can benefit from camu-camu supplementation?
- 3.6 What is the recommended daily dose of camu-camu supplements?
- 3.7 What are some things to consider when supplementing with camu-camu?
- 3.8 Is camu-cumy good for the skin?
- 3.9 Would camu-camu be beneficial for obese people or those looking to lose weight?
- 3.10 What are the adverse effects associated with camu-camu consumption?
- 3.11 Does camu-camu consumption have contraindications?
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- Vitamin C is the star nutrient of camu-camu and is found mostly in the peel and pulp of the fruit. It also provides antioxidant pigments: anthocyanins (red-blue) and carotenoids (yellow-orange).
- Camu-camu can be eaten fresh and, in fact, those who have access to the fresh fruit eat it this way. In the UK, those who wish to take advantage of its benefits can find powder or capsule supplements.
- When buying camu-camu supplements, it is very important to evaluate certain aspects that affect the final quality of the product in question. Things like taste, vitamin C content, the method of consumption and the conditions during manufacturing will all play a role in determining the quality of the product.
Our Selection of the Best Camu-Camu Products in the UK Market
Camu-camu is a fruit that expires quickly after being harvested. For this reason, it is not usually exported in its fresh state. In the UK today, most people consume it in the form of supplements. Most of the camu-camu food supplements on the market come in the form of dehydrated powder or capsules. Here are some of our favourite camu-camu products:
- Best Priced Camu-Camu Capsules
- Best Raw Camu-Camu Supplement in Powder Form
- Best Wholesale Option of Camu-Camu
- Best Overall Camu-Camu Capsules
Best Priced Camu-Camu Capsules
Rio Amazon 500 mg camu-camu 8: 1 extract vegetarian capsules helps promote healthy blood circulation and promotes healthier skin and encourages cell regeneration. The key advantage from taking a natural vitamin C supplement such as camu-camu is that it is gentle on the stomach and easier to assimilate in the body than synthesised vitamin C.
In addition, camu-camu is a source of ‘gentle’ Iron, phosphorous, potassium, vitamins B2, B3, beta-carotene and other carotenoids. It also contains amino acids, bioflavonoids, anthocyanin’s and other nutrients that help with the absorption of the vitamin C in the body. Available in 60 capsules for under £10.
Best Raw Camu-Camu Supplement in Powder Form
Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Raw Camu Camu Powder. Camu Camu is the fruit of a bush which grows naturally in the Amazon region of South America, where the climate is hot and humid. Part of the local diet for centuries, it has recently caught the attention of nutritionists as one of the world’s richest sources of the antioxidant, Vitamin C. SevenHills camu camu is in fine powder form and can be easily incorporated into diet. Their camu camu is freeze-dried to help preserve more of its nutrients. Camu camu can be used in baking and smoothies, or mixed with food.
SevenHills camu camu powder is sourced from organic producers. Organic means working with nature and is better for the environment – lower levels of pesticides, no manufactured herbicides or artificial fertilisers and more environmentally sustainable management of the land. Organic food comes from trusted sources, all organic farms and food companies are inspected at least once a year and the standards are laid down in law. This Amazons choice with 4.5 out of 5 stars is a excelent Camu-Camu powder supplement choice.
Best Wholesale Option of Camu-Camu
Organic Camu Camu Powder 500g by Hatton Hill Organic – Free UK Delivery. Organic Camu Camu Powder by Hatton Hill Organic. Organically grown in Peru. Packed in the UK. Certified Organic by the Soil Association.
Flat Shipping Rate, 100% premium organic Camu Camu Powder from Hatton Hill Organic, this supplement is produced to the highest standards and sold in a sealed bag. very well priced at under £25 for 500g. And highly rated by the British consumers.
Best Overall Camu-Camu Capsules
Biotiva Camu Camu Organic 150 Capsules 700mg per Capsule, is the UK´s best Overall Cama Camu capsule supplement. Rated highly and well priced at around £16 per bottle of 150 capsules it is a fantastic value for money product.
Biotiva capsules are free of release agents such as magnesium salts (magnesium stearate), fillers and flow agents. The capsules are vegan. Free of lactose and gluten. Manufactured and controlled in Germany. After 30 years of organic experience, they know the best growing areas, most reliable growers and processors. Each product is inspected and bottled in their own factory in Germany.
Shopping guide: Everything You Should Know About Camu-Camu
For most of the British population, camu-camu is an unknown fruit. Its reputation as a “superfood” is due to its high vitamin C content, but camu-camu provides other nutrients that offer great value. In this section, we go over all the amazing properties of this fruit and all of its noteworthy aspects.
What is camu-camu exactly?
What nutrients does camu-camu provide?
- Vitamin C (or ascorbic acid)
- Anthocyanins (flavonoid pigments responsible for the color of your skin)
- Carotenoids (especially beta-carotene)
- Minerals: potassium, calcium, zinc, copper, magnesium and manganese
What are the beneficial properties of camu-camu?
- It acts as a powerful antioxidant: Neutralising free radicals, which oxidise cells and increase the risk of suffering neurodegenerative diseases (Alzheimer’s, dementia), cardiovascular pathologies, cataracts, type II diabetes, atherosclerosis and cancer. Vitamin C, anthocyanins and carotenoids are the antioxidant compounds found in camu-camu.
- Reduce oxidative stress among smokers: This is beneficial for smokers and those who recently quit smoking.
- It protects the kidneys: Against toxins and drugs.
- Decreases pain and inflammation caused by arthritis: This is due to its anti-inflammatory components.
- Reduces the risk of cancer: This because its antioxidant properties help prevent mutations in cellular genetic material (DNA).
- Decreases the numbers of all cholesterol: Including “bad” cholesterol (LDL) found in the blood.
- Helps regulate blood glucose: Particularly helpful for diabetics.
- It helps relieve migraine episodes: and headaches.
- Reduces intensity and shortens the duration of cold symptoms: Both common and the flu.
- Helps control complications associated with obesity: Such as, hypercholesterolemia (elevated cholesterol), hypertriglyceridemia (elevated triglycerides), hyperglycemia (blood glucose above normal values) and insulin resistance.
- Strengthens the immune system: Due to its high concentration of antioxidants.
- Supports the healthy formation of body structures: Since vitamin C is essential for the synthesis of collagen, which forms nails, skin, tendons, cartilage and bones.
- Favours the absorption of non-heminic iron: Which means the ”good” iron present in plant foods and nutritional supplements.
- Supports ocular health: It also helps prevent macular degeneration associated with aging.
How much vitamin C does camu-camu provide?
Camu-camu, even in its fresh state, possesses unsurpassed levels of vitamin C, especially when compared to other fruits that are known to be sources of this nutrient, such as lemon and orange. Camu-camu provides 50 times more vitamin C than an orange and 70 times more than the content of this vitamin in lemons.
Who can benefit from camu-camu supplementation?
- Smokers and those who recently quit smoking: Smoking is known to deplete your vitamin C reserves, increasing your need for this vitamin.
- People who want to strengthen their immune system.
- Individuals with a history of macular degeneration: A known symptom of aging.
- Obese people or those looking to manage their weight: More specifically, those want to prevent the complications associated with being overwheight, such as high cholesterol, diabetes, atherosclerosis, and many more.
- Individuals who are prone to colds and getting the flu: Camu-camu can help mitigate symptoms.
- Those who want to improve the look of their skin: Antioxidants help delay the appearance of wrinkles and the loss of tightness in the skin.
- People who want to increase their intake of antioxidants: Particularly in a natural way.
- Subjects with a family history of cardiovascular disease.
What is the recommended daily dose of camu-camu supplements?
What are some things to consider when supplementing with camu-camu?
- Do not exceed the recommended dose for the supplement, either camu-camu powder or capsules.
- Limit the period of consumption to no more than 2 or 3 consecutive months.
- Avoid storing it in high temperatures because it will destroy the vitamin C (which is thermosensitive).
- Do not consume large amounts of alcohol with it, as it can reduce the body’s capacity for vitamin C absorption.
Is camu-cumy good for the skin?
Would camu-camu be beneficial for obese people or those looking to lose weight?
What are the adverse effects associated with camu-camu consumption?
Even though vitamin C does not often cause toxicity, even at doses of 10 grams daily, people who consume large amounts of this nutrient over very long periods of time may experience certain adverse effects:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal cramps
- Kidney stones
- Gout arthritis (in people predisposed to this condition)
Does camu-camu consumption have contraindications?
- Pregnancy, breastfeeding and children under 12 years.
- Hemochromatosis (a disease caused by excess iron in the body), vitamin C increases the assimilation of iron and would aggravate this condition.
- Those with predispositions to forming of kidney stones.
- Severe renal disease.
- Taking any of the following medications: anticoagulants, antacids with aluminum, Deferoxamine, Indinavir, or Cyclosporine.
The main attraction of camu-camu, is it’s dense antioxidant and vitamin C content. When looking to supplement with camu-camu, it is important to consider the following set of criteria in order to purchase the best quality supplement. Make sure not to overlook these aspects and you’ll be sure to find the right supplement for your needs:
- Vitamin C Content
- Method of Consumption
- Presence of Allergens
- Manufacturing Conditions
Vitamin C Content
Camu-camu powder supplements should provide between 300 and 600 milligrams of vitamin C per 5-gram serving. Camu-camu capsules normally supply between 80 and 400 mg of this vitamin per serving. Keep in mind that the vitamin C content varies greatly from product to product, so it is very important to look at the label of each product carefully.
Method of Consumption
Capsules, tablets, and gummies will be the most practical method of intake since all you’ll need is a small sip of water in order to swallow the product. Powder, on the other hand, must be dissolved in liquid before ingesting.
Presence of Allergens
Camu-camu is naturally gluten-free and vegan. However, it is common for supplements to be made in facilities that also process nuts, seeds, soybeans, or wheat. This means that those who are celiac or suffer from another food allergy should carefully read the list of ingredients on the nutrition label.
Vegans should look for a seal of vegan certification, which will guarantee that the supplement is free of animal by-products. For their part, those who only consume organic products should seek certification of organic or ecological production, for instance, USDA certification.
View this post on Instagram
—-EXOTIC FRUIT BENEFITS—- ⤵️ Durian: 1) Natural anti-depressant – B6 2) Energy from carbs 3) Healthy for bones + teeth – calcium, potassium, B vitamins 4) Delays aging – Vitamin C 5) Helps digestive system – fiber 6) Helps blood sugar levels – manganese 7) Helps blood pressure levels – potassium 8) Benefits anaemic patients – folate 9) Helps prevent cardiovascular disease – organosulfur regulates inflammatory enzymes 10) Boosts libido ▪️ Mangosteen: 1) Antioxidants – Xanthones 2) Boosts immunity – Xanthones and vitamin C 3) Regulates blood pressure = potassium, copper, magnesium 4) Boosts heart health – reduces cholesterol 5) Reduces inflammation – histamin and prostaglandin 6) Improves skin – highly antibacterial and antimicrobial 7) Helps digestion – fiber 8) Helps aid weight loss – low in calories ▪️ Dragonfruit: 1) Helps digestion – fiber 2) Strengthens immune system – vitamin C + carotenoids 3) Boosts iron levels – contains iron 4) Fights chronic diseases – vitamin C, Betalains, Carotenoids 5) Contains magnesium ▪️ Camu: Vitamin C Potassium Magnesium Manganese Copper Amino acids (serine, leucine and valine) Carotenoids (lutein, beta-carotene and zeaxanthin) ▪️ Lychee: 1) Fights diseases – flavanoids 2) Antioxidants 3) Heart health – flavanoids 4) Blood regulation – magnesium, copper, iron, vitamin C, manganese, folate ▪️ Jackfruit: Replenishes Energy. A 100gm serving of the jackfruit contains 94 Kcal and is loaded with good carbohydrates Ensures a better cardiovascular health and a regulated Blood Pressure Improves Digestion Prevents Cancer Enhances Vision . . — follow @plantifulfacts — follow @plantifulfacts . . 👁️ Stay woke my friends. . . #juicing #eathealthy #plantbased #anticancer #antiaging #healthcare #rawvegan #nutrition #veganhealth #foodismedicine #holisticnutrition #instahealth #herbalmedicine #plantbasediet #naturalremedy #healthybody #electricfood #fruit #exoticfruit #durian #camucamu #mangosteen #lychee #jackfruit #rawfruit #rawvegan #rawlife #fruitforbreakfast . img credit: @plantbasedben
Most manufacturers will describe how the raw fruit is processed into the final product. Where camu-camu is concerned, it is important to ensure that the fruit has been handled at low temperatures, both during drying and crushing in order to best preserve all the nutrients. Keep in mind that vitamin C is Thermo-reactive and it will disintegrate in high temperatures.
In short, camu-camu is a superfood that is just starting to become known by the British people. Its recent popularity has stemmed from its various health benefits. Among them, its high content of vitamin C makes it an excellent supplement for those who wish to strengthen their immune system or promote the synthesis of collagen in the skin.
Camu-camu supplements are easy to ingest, affordable, and effective at increasing overall health and wellness while helping prevent diseases related to oxidative damage. Last but not least, camu-camu has very few contraindications and its supplements rarely produce adverse effects.
If you found this information useful, be sure to leave us a comment with your thoughts or share this knowledge with your loved ones!
(Featured Featured Image: Ildipapp: 11398089/123rf.com)