How we pick our products
These days, everyone is familiar with cannabis. The psychoactive effects of of this plant have led its recreational use to become very popular. But did you know that cannabis can have true healing powers? In our latest article, we introduce you to cannabidiol (CBD), a natural remedy for pain and anxiety.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive cannabinoid found in cannabis, and causes the sensation of getting “high” that’s often associated with marijuana. However, unlike THC, CBD is not psychoactive.
This quality makes CBD an appealing option for those who are looking for relief from pain and other symptoms without the mind-altering effects of marijuana or certain pharmaceutical drugs.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best CBD Products on the UK Market
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: Everything You Should Know About CBD Oil
- 3.1 What is CBD exactly?
- 3.2 How does CBD influence my body?
- 3.3 How can I benefit from using CBD oil?
- 3.4 In which forms can I find CBD on the market?
- 3.5 What is the legislation in the UK?
- 3.6 How should I use CBD oil?
- 3.7 Are there side effects linked to CBD use?
- 3.8 Are there precautions to CBD use?
- 3.9 Can CBD interfere with my medication?
- 3.10 What is the cost of CBD?
- 4 Buyer’s Guide
- 5 Summary
- CBD has no psychoactive effects, meaning it cannot alter your behaviour or perception.
- It has been proven effective as a treatment for refractory epilepsy.
- Many experts believe CBD to be a solution against insomnia, chronic pain, anxiety and nausea. These health benefits of CBD oil are often backed by scientific evidence
Our Selection: The Best CBD Products on the UK Market
With all of the CBD products available on the market, it can be difficult to know which is the best for you. While some prefer to use oils, other like having a daily supplement. If you suffer from chronic muscle pain only, then you might benefit from a CBD cream. We have gathered some of the best CBD products on the market today to help you make the right decision for your needs.
Best Full Spectrum CBD Oil
Natures Aid CBD oil spray provides CBD with a full spectrum of natural terpenes and is guaranteed to be THC free. Carried in a base of mct oil for absorption, with a natural peppermint oil flavour. Each spray of this 10 Percent CBD oil provides 13 mg of CBD. Spray once under the tongue 1-2 times per day. Hold under the tongue for 10 seconds before swallowing. Do not exceed the recommended intake. This product is not suitable for persons aged under 18.
Manufactured in the UK to GMP and pharmaceutical standards, and fully compliant with regulations. Natures Aid CBD is produced using only the finest quality industrial hemp. Every batch is tested, checked and traceable all the way back to the farm where it was grown.
Best CBD Oil High Strength Capsules
Every batch of Healthspan’s CBD is rigorously analysed for THC & CBD levels, meaning they only contain miniscule, trace amounts of THC but pure, high levels of CBD. Healthspan’s capsules are absorbed in the small intestine. This means the CBD enters your bloodstream efficiently. You can rest assured that its CBD oil is legal, ethical and of the highest quality.
This manufacturers CBD oil is extracted from the hemp strain of the cannabis plant and has no psychoactive or addictive effects. What’s more, the addition of olive oil optimizes its absorption in the body.
Best CBD Oil Drops
Take one to eight drops up to three times daily under your tongue, hold in your mouth for one minute before swallowing. Can it be easier than that? Are you one of the many people that do not wish to take pills or tablets? In that case, we have good news for you: Yes, it is that easy.
These CBD oil drops are recommended to take no more than 24 drops per day, only for adults. Bulk Powders is a well known brand in the UK and brings you the most high quality supplements. And these CBD drops are no less. Fully legal, safe, and batch tested CBD oil dropper from a leading sports nutrition brand.
Best CBD Softgels
With 10mg of CBD per unit, these softgels from Bulk Powders are made for people who don´t like the taste of CBD oil. They have no psychoactive or addictive effects. Moreover, they contain no THC at all. Bulk´s Cbd oil is extracted carefully from the hemp strain of Cannabis Sativa, without containing THC.
This product is not suitable for persons aged under eighteen. Take 1-3 softgels per day with water. Do not exceed the recommended usage. You will fell the anti-stress and pain relief effect after a few days of supplementing with this product.
Buyer’s Guide: Everything You Should Know About CBD Oil
Many believe the cannabis plant to be purely recreational. The good news is that a change of mentality has begun, it’s gaining momentum in the health and wellness world, with some scientific studies confirming it may help treat a variety of ailments like chronic pain and anxiety.
What is CBD exactly?
- Cannabinoid receptors type 1 (CB1): They are found in abundance in our brain, pancreas, liver and peripheral fat.
- Cannabinoid receptors type 2 (CB2):These are mainly present in cells of our immune system.
Cannabinoids can be classified into the following: phytocannabinoids (naturally synthesised by the cannabis plant), endocannabinoids (created by the organism itself) and synthetic cannabinoids (manufactured in laboratories). CBD is a phytocannabinoid with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Although it was discovered in 1940, the properties of cannabidiol weren’t known until the 1960s. Research has discovered that the psychoactive effects of THC are a product of the interaction with the CB1 receptor. CBD, on the other hand, has a low affinity for this receptor, which is why it can retain its medicinal effects without affecting our awareness.
How does CBD influence my body?
|Nervous||Neurogenesis, creation of neuronal connections and reduction of inflammation|
|Immune||Suppression of inflammatory mediators|
|Gastrointestinal||Decreased inflammation, reduced bowel sensitivity, and delayed gastric emptying|
|Metabolism||Effects on appetite and energy production|
|Respiratory||Anti-inflammatory and bronchodilator effects|
|Tegumentary (skin, nails and hair)||Anti-inflammatory effects and reduced sebum production|
CBD has been recommended for a wide variety of health issues, but the strongest scientific evidence is for its effectiveness in treating some of the cruelest childhood epilepsy syndromes, such as Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS), which typically don’t respond to antiseizure medications. In numerous studies, CBD was able to reduce the number of seizures, and in some cases it was able to stop them altogether.
CBD is also commonly used to address anxiety, and for patients who suffer from insomnia, studies suggest that CBD may help with both falling asleep and staying asleep.
How can I benefit from using CBD oil?
- Seizures and epilepsy: CBD use reduces the frequency and severity of epileptic seizures in certain treatment-resistant patients.
- Chronic neuropathic pain: Induced by nerve injury, this pain is particularly difficult to treat with modern medicine. CBD has been noted to relieve the symptoms of certain individuals.
- Fibromyalgia:CBD can effectively reduce pain, improve sleep, and diminish refractory pain for people with fibromyalgia
- Acne: Administering CBD topically or orally has shown to decrease sebum formation and skin inflammation.
- Hypertension: By reducing inflammation, CBD also causes your blood pressure to lower.
- Nausea and vomiting: CBD has been used to treat chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting.
- Lack of appetite: CBD has been shown to increase appetite in some studies. In fact, one of the most common side effects of CBD treatment is appetite change.
- Anxiety and insomnia: CBD has anxiolytic properties. Research tells us that CBD affects the sleep cycle, and many researchers say that CBD improves sleep because it tackles the root causes of insomnia.
- Obesity: CBD seems to have the capacity to alter the composition of body fat, therefore facilitating its metabolisation.
- Inflammatory bowel disease and Crohn’s disease: The anti-inflammatory effects of CBD can relieve the discomfort caused by these conditions.
- Dyspareunia (painful sexual intercourses): When used as a lubricant or oil, CBD contributes to pleasant and pain-free sexual intercourses.
- Endometriosis: Affecting millions of women worldwide, the pain caused by this condition can be alleviated by CBD.
- Asthma:It seems that CBD has bronchodilator properties, which is why studies are investigating the possibility of using it on asthmatic patients who are resistant to other treatments.
We need more research, but CBD may be prove to be an option for managing anxiety, insomnia, and chronic pain. Without sufficient high-quality evidence in human studies it is difficult to pinpoint effective doses, and because CBD is currently is mostly available as an unregulated supplement, it’s difficult to know exactly what you are getting.
Depending on the state, CBD is primarily marketed and sold as a supplement, not a medication. Currently, the FDA does not regulate the safety and purity of dietary supplements.
In which forms can I find CBD on the market?
|Form||Appearance of the effect||Warning|
|CBD oil||20-40 minutes||May contain alcohol, vinegar, ethanol, or artificial flavours.|
|Edible CBD (infusions, pastries)||2 hours||The food may take on an unpleasant taste.|
|Creams and lotions||20-30 minutes||They cannot penetrate the bloodstream, and their effects are limited to the area of application.|
|CBD patches||4-6 hours||While their application is topical, they do release their contents into the blood.|
|Inhaled CBD (in vaping form)||Immediate||It requires several inhalations to take effect. The action vanishes quickly.|
|CBD capsules||2 hours||They may contain toxic ingredients. Gelatine is not suitable for vegan individuals.|
Much of focus in this article is on CBD oil. Other forms – more specifically smoked or vaped cannabidiol – are associated with harmful effects to the lungs, in reason of the product’s combustion in the respiratory tract. Softgels are generally made from gelatine and therefore not suitable for people following vegan or vegetarian diets.
Oil is the safest and most adaptable form of administering CBD. You will have much more freedom when it comes to dosage, and you’ll be able to choose the most suitable method of application for your needs. Always go for a trusted manufacturer and, make sure the product is free of animal additives if you’re vegan or vegetarian. In addition, the product may contain other (unknown) elements, so it is important to be aware of this.
What is the legislation in the UK?
Basically, the law will vary from country to country, and it depends on whether the CBD comes from hemp or marijuana.
How should I use CBD oil?
While CBD is an essential component of medical marijuana, it is derived directly from the hemp plant, which is a cousin of the marijuana plant. While CBD is one of a hundred components in marijuana, by itself it does not cause a “high.”
Luckily, CBD is widely accepted and very popular in various countries around the world, including the UK. Regular consumers recommend starting with the lowest possible dose (2.5 mg twice a day), before progressively increasing the quantity until you reach the desired effect.
- Lower saliva production (dry mouth)
- Change in appetite and body weight
- Hypotension and dizziness
- Gait disturbances (clumsiness)
THC use has been linked to serious cannabinoid side effects such as paranoia and memory impairment. You are also advised to monitor your liver enzyme levels if you use CBD frequently: there have been reports of alterations.
Are there precautions to CBD use?
- Parkinson’s disease: Very high doses of CBD can worsen the patients’ ability to move.
- Serious psychiatric illnesses:There have been reports that CBD relieves the symptoms of these illnesses during the first days, before a rebound effect that can further deteriorate the condition of the patients.
- Liver disorders: Since CBD is metabolised in the liver, malfunction of this organ can prevent CBD from being removed from the organism.
- Serious cardiovascular disorders: Cannabinoids have generally been associated with an increased incidence of cardiovascular events. People with any kind of heart condition should exercise caution when using CBD.
These precautions are linked to oral consumption of CBD oil. On the other hand, you shouldn’t have to worry about potential side effects when using the product topically. In that case, the amount of CBD penetrating through your skin and into your blood stream is minimal.
Experts warn that there is not insufficient evidence to ensure that cannabidiol is safe during pregnancy and lactation. That being said, as of today, no side effects linked to CBD use have been observed on the fetus. Women in these situations should take precaution if using CBD and consult their physician.
Can CBD interfere with my medication?
- HIV treatment
- NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)
- Oral antidiabetics
Concomitant use of CBD and any of these substances could delay the elimination of both compounds, raising both CBD and medicine levels above safe levels. Please consult your doctor before using CBD if you are being treated with any of these substances, or if you regularly consume alcohol.
What is the cost of CBD?
You should always check which substance the CBD is dissolved in. Artificial oils are cheaper, but can be toxic. On the other hand, olive oil, beeswax and coconut oil will provide you with vitamin E, omega-3 acids and antioxidants. Your health is the number one priority, so we truly recommend that you choose the best options available.
CBD oil is readily available in the UK. This means that there are a variety of products out there, each with their own characteristics. We advise you to consider the following aspects if you want to make the right purchase:
- Origin of The Ingredients
- CBD Concentration
- Concentration of Other Cannabinoids
- Type of Oil Used
- Packaging And Conservation
- Value For Money
Origin of The Ingredients
One of the most common questions from consumers relates to the difference between CBD oil from hemp and from marijuana. There are differences between hemp-derived and marijuana-derived CBD oil in terms of its cannabinoid profiles, effects, and legality.
On the molecular level, CBD is the same compound regardless of whether it’s found in hemp or marijuana. Now, the main difference between CBD oil from hemp and marijuana is the amount of THC and CBD. Hemp-derived CBD oil usually contains high concentrations of CBD, but its THC content doesn’t exceed the legal 0.3% limit. While marijuana-derived oil is sourced from marijuana strains, and can come with significant amounts of THC, ranging between 5% and 30%
CBD oil products can feature different concentrations of cannabidiol. You will get the mildest effects with low concentrations of CBD (around 5%), while products with 10-15% cannabidiol should be kept for more severe cases requiring a fast and potent effect.
Concentration of Other Cannabinoids
While cannabinoid should be the only active ingredient in CBD oil, please note that small concentrations of THC have been detected in 1 in 5 products. As you know, this molecule has psychotropic properties; this means that you should make sure your oil contains only CBD in order to avoid euphoric and hallucinogenic effects.
Type of Oil Used
CBD must be dissolved once it has been extracted from the plant. Olive oil and sesame seed oil are the most popular compounds used to dilute cannabidiol. Check which product is used if you may have allergic reactions to any of these substances.
Packaging And Conservation
The packaging you choose should be designed to store your CBD in optimum conditions for as long as possible. Opaque containers with droppers will isolate the CBD from exposure to air and light, extending the half-life of the product. To give you a rough idea, this type of oil generally remains in good condition for approximately three months.
Value For Money
CBD tends to be fairly expensive, so make the most of it! It is recommended to start with a product with lower concentration if this is your first time using CBD – these oils are much cheaper. Products with higher cannabidiol percentage have a steeper price and are tailored for experienced consumers.
With so much false information spread online about CBD oil, it is important to understand what cannabis, hemp, and marijuana are and how they’re different from each other. Emerging research shows that CBD may play a role in regulating such functions as memory, sleep, and mood, as well as metabolic processes like energy balance. In addition, CBD oil may play a role in improving a variety of health conditions.
Please keep in mind that, despite the marvellous properties of CBD, this substance should never replace your medical treatment. Don’t take rash decisions and always consult with medical experts before starting CBD treatment. Your quality of life will improve and you won’t feel any of the unpleasant side effects of the substance if you use it with great caution.
Did you like our guide on CBD oil? If so, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below, and share our article on your social media!
(Source of Featured Image: Roi: 86787622/ 123rf.com)