How we pick our products
The root that is popularly known as “ginseng” is a potent natural energiser. Although several plants have variants on this name, most medicinal properties are attributed to Korean ginseng (Panax ginseng), American ginseng (Panax quinquefolis) and Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus).
This “superfood” can fight fatigue, improve stress response situations and stimulate concentration. Ginseng also strengthens the immune system, treats diabetes and improves athletic performance. Want to know more about the wonderful properties of ginseng? Read on to find out!
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Ginseng Products on the UK Market
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Ginseng
- 3.1 What are the health benefits of ginseng?
- 3.2 Who can benefit from the properties of ginseng?
- 3.3 What types of ginseng supplements exist and which one is right for me?
- 3.4 Why is ginseng recommended for athletes?
- 3.5 Is ginseng an aphrodisiac?
- 3.6 How do you take ginseng?
- 3.7 How should diabetic people take ginseng?
- 3.8 What is the recommended dose of ginseng?
- 3.9 Does ginseng contain caffeine?
- 3.10 How long does it take until the effects of ginseng are noticed?
- 3.11 What adverse effects can ginseng cause?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Ginseng is a root that, although it can be consumed in its natural form, is usually consumed as capsules, tablets, teas or extracts.
- Ginseng is widely recognised for its energising, “adaptogenic” and stimulating properties for cognitive function. It also improves immunity, improves circulation and lowers blood glucose levels.
- There are several types of ginseng: Korean, American, Siberian, among others. Korean ginseng can be red or white, depending on its collection age and the processing it undergoes.
- To buy a good ginseng product you must choose the correct variety and verify that it contains a high concentration of active ingredients.
Our Selection: The Best Ginseng Products on the UK Market
A multitude of products are marketed under the name “ginseng.” However, although several products may contain ginseng, there may be notable differences in their active ingredients and their functions in the body. If you want to make a successful purchase, that will help your health, you can choose from our favorite ginseng supplements:
- Best High-Potency Ginseng Supplement
- Best Ginseng Liquid
- Best All-Around Ginseng Supplement
- Best Powder Ginseng
- Best Korean Organic Ginseng Root Extract Supplement
- Best Ginseng Elixir
Best High-Potency Ginseng Supplement
This manufacture’s ginseng supplement is highly dosed with 600 mg of an 8:1 panax ginseng root extract per capsule. Thus, every capsule contains an equivalent of 4800 mg dried ginseng. The various properties of ginseng are attributed to its high concentration of so-called triterpene saponins, which include ginsenosides.
In traditional Chinese medicine, panax ginseng has been used for centuries. It is considered a universal natural remedy and it has often been used as a revitaliser to fight physical and mental fatigue. Moreover, ginseng is well know as to be a natural aphrodisiac.
Best Ginseng Liquid
What is this you may ask? Ginseng Royal Jelly is made by high quality ginseng and Royal jelly. It is a liquid tonic that is easily taken. Moreover, it will quickly boost your energy. It helps your body to calm down and relax, more so it also helps you to sleep well. When both together they help with energy deficiency caused by stamina and memory, fatigue, insomnia, anxiety and immunity imbalance.
Each ampule contains 300mg of ginseng and 300 mg of Royal jelly. All this supplement manufacture’s food supplements are made from 100% natural ingredients and are suitable for vegetarians and vegans. They are also free from genetically modified products, and gluten, dairy and soya free.
Best All-Around Ginseng Supplement
Panax Ginseng by LLS | 120 High Strength Capsules (4 Month Supply) | 300mg per Capsule, 10:1 Extract (3000mg Whole Plant Equivalent) | 20% Ginsenosides | Also Known As Korean Ginseng | Used for Improved Thinking, Concentration, Memory and work Efficiency, Physical Stamina, and Athletic Endurance | Can Alleviate Stress | Premium Supplement Produced in the UK | Love Life Supplements – “live healthy. love life.”
This Amazon’s Choice is also the bestselling ginseng product on the market. They are high strength with 300mg of ginseng. That is 10% of a whole ginseng plant per capsule. With a count of 120 capsules per package, this gives you a 4 month supply for a really good price. Panax ginseng, also known as Korean ginseng, has been used for thousands of years in herbal medicine for its multiple health benefits.
Its ginsenosides contribute towards improved thinking, concentration, memory and work efficiency. They may also help to maintain normal cognitive performance and glucose metabolism. Above all, this brand is committed to providing the highest quality. This product contains effective ingredients with minimal excipients and manufactured here in the UK.
Best Powder Ginseng
Another Amazon’s Choice Product. This product is made from 100% organic Siberian ginseng powder, which is believed to promote better concentration, improve mental clarity and memory. Commonly referred to as an ‘adaptogen’ Siberian ginseng, it can help the body adjust to stressful circumstances. This product comes in a 250g package, but it is also available in other sizes.
Certified organic and free from all harmful pesticides, additives, chemical fertilisers, and genetically modified organisms, this Siberian ginseng powder is as pure as it comes. It is packaged in resealable Kraft paper pouches for freshness.
Best Korean Organic Ginseng Root Extract Supplement
Korean ginseng is one of the world’s best known adaptogens, a herb which can strengthen the body against stressful demands. Thanks to its ginsenosides content, it has the natural ability to reduce tiredness and fatigue, and support healthy immune function. Take two capsules per day in the morning or early afternoon. Can be taken with food or on an empty stomach. Best used daily in tandem with a healthy diet, lifestyle and regular exercise.
Korean ginseng is suitable for vegans, paleo, gluten free, soy free and dairy free diets. It comes in small, easily-digested plant capsules. NO inorganic fillers, binders, or magnesium stearate. Equivalent to 1200mg of Korean ginseng root. Soil Association Certified Organic.
Best Ginseng Elixir
This is a distinctive tasting liquid formula made from Siberian ginseng root in a winous extract. Alcohol increases the absorption of the active ingredients of the ginseng root. Its liquid formulation is also more easily absorbed by the body compared to other forms of administration. Many believe that ginseng helps to maintain both physical and mental output. Available in 250 ml. bottles.
Salus has a long tradition and excellent reputation to maintain as manufacturers of top quality health foods. For over a century they have used only the finest ingredients in the production of their supplements.
Best Ginseng with Ginkgo Biloba
This is also an Amazon´s Choice in this category. Ideal combination for those with a busy, stressful lifestyle wanting to improve energy levels and focus. With vitamins B3 and B5 to support mental performance. This is a high strength formula that provides high levels of the active ingredients flavone glycosides & terpene lactones in a single tablet, providing an easy and convenient way to take ginseng and ginkgo all in one.
Many other brands are imported from other countries but this one’s vitamins and supplements are UK manufactured, so you are safeguarded by the highest standards in the world (GMP).
Buyer’s Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Ginseng
What are the health benefits of ginseng?
- They combat exhaustion, weakness and fatigue due to their energising and revitalising effect.
- They strengthen the immune system and increase resistance against infectious agents (bacteria and viruses).
- Improve the ability to respond to stressful situations.
- They aid in liver detoxification against various substances, including alcohol.
- They help restore the homeostasis of the body, that is, the body’s overall internal balance.
- They improve circulation and lower total and LDL (“bad”) cholesterols.
- They act as antioxidants (counteract oxidation caused by free radicals) and enhance the effects of Vitamin E, which also has antioxidant properties.
On an aesthetic level, ginseng can promote the health and appearance of skin and hair, whether it is used topically (for example, in creams or shampoos) or if it is consumed orally.
Ginseng improves hydration, smoothness and elasticity of the skin. At the capillary level, it strengthens hair and prevents the breakage of the hair fibers.
Who can benefit from the properties of ginseng?
- Tiredness or exhaustion
- Memory problems and lack of concentration.
- People who are exposed to situations that demand physical or mental overexertion.
- Individuals who are under a high degree of stress.
- Older adults.
- Individuals with loss of appetite.
- People with insulin resistance or Type II Diabetes–always under medical supervision.
- Individuals who want to prevent flu or colds.
What types of ginseng supplements exist and which one is right for me?
- Korean Ginseng (Panax ginseng): This is the “official” ginseng, whose content of ginsenosides and panaxanos make it a “superfood” with enormous potential to improve health. Korean ginseng can be white or red, the latter being the one with the greatest therapeutic effect. It is used as an energiser, adaptogen and stimulant of brain function.
- American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolium): As in the case of Korean ginseng, most of the properties of this variety are due to the ginsenosides it provides. It helps prevent respiratory conditions, such as the common cold and the flu. It also exerts a hypoglycemic effect (reduction of blood glucose) in diabetics and non-diabetics.
- Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus): This plant belongs to the same family as Korean ginseng and American ginseng, but its active ingredients are different. Instead of ginsenosides and panaxanos they provide eleutherosides and eleutheranos. It increases energy levels, supports immune functions and lowers blood glucose level.
Why is ginseng recommended for athletes?
- Improves physical exercise: more resistance and less fatigue.
- Prevents the heart rate from increasing too much during physical exercise.
- Accelerates recovery after physical exertion (training or competition).
- Improves cardiac efficiency by decreasing oxygen consumption by the heart.
Is ginseng recommended for people who practice anaerobic sports activities, for example, weightlifting? In these cases, ginseng supplements offer no significant benefits (nor harm). None of the ginseng varieties are known to be useful for increasing strength or muscle mass.
Is ginseng an aphrodisiac?
- The improvement of blood circulation, which favours the circulation of the genital area.
- In the case of man, ginseng ginsenosides act as vasodilators that facilitate erections.
- Energising, invigorating and anti-fatigue effect.
- The feeling of general well-being and improvement of mood.
How do you take ginseng?
It is also important not to exceed the recommended dose and to use rest periods. For example, you can consume ginseng for 3 weeks and rest one, or consume it for 12 weeks in a row and rest for 1 month. Sometimes people take an excess of ginseng to speed up the results and this results in unwanted side effects.
How should diabetic people take ginseng?
What is the recommended dose of ginseng?
Does ginseng contain caffeine?
How long does it take until the effects of ginseng are noticed?
What adverse effects can ginseng cause?
- Elevated blood pressure.
- In women: Breast pain and abnormal vaginal bleeding.
Anyone taking medication or suffering from a chronic illness should consult their doctor before starting to consume ginseng.
Diabetics treated with insulin or oral antidiabetics (for example, metformin) can only take ginseng under medical supervision because there is a risk of severe hypoglycemia.
Once you have identified the most beneficial ginseng variety for you, you should evaluate other aspects inherent to that particular formula and the ingredients of the supplement. The following are the shopping criteria that should not be ignored if you want to purchase a ginseng product of optimum quality:
Variety of Ginseng
We have discussed each variety of ginseng (Korean, American or Siberian). It is essential to choose the right type of ginseng for the desired purpose. For example, to stimulate memory and concentration, Korean ginseng is recommended, while any of the 3 varieties can be effective in increasing energy.
In the case of Korean ginseng, it can be white or red. It is actually the same plant, but the processing and age of the plant differ. As for processing, the red ginseng, of superior quality, is subjected to freeze-drying to concentrate its ginsenosides and increase its stability.
Age of the Plant at the Time of Collection
As we have seen, the ginseng plant must be at least 4 years old so that its active ingredients are in sufficient concentration to benefit human health. To obtain white ginseng, the harvest is done when the plant has reached 4 years, while, to make red ginseng supplements, the plant must be at least 6 years old.
Most ginseng consumers describe its flavour as similar to that of licorice, that is, bittersweet and somewhat like anise. This taste is noticeable if ginseng is consumed in the form of liquid extract or powder. In contrast, capsules made from extracts have almost no taste at all.
Although ginseng is made of plant origin, the material of the capsules may be animal gelatin and, consequently, said product will not be suitable for vegans or vegetarians. To buy a 100% vegetable ginseng supplement, the capsule material must be “hydroxypropyl methylcellulose” (HPMC) or “modified cellulose.”
Ginseng is much more than a natural energiser. Its effects on brain function, physical performance and resistance to stress make it a supplement that can be very beneficial for students, athletes and people who are facing stressful situations, physically or mentally.
Although toxicity is quite uncommon, ginseng can cause side effects. To ensure safe consumption of ginseng, it is important to take it properly. This implies respecting the recommended dose (depending on the form of presentation) and not taking it for more than 2 or 3 months in a row without alternating consumption with a rest period.
If you liked our guide on ginseng, help us reach more people by sharing it on social media or leaving us a comment.
(Source of Featured Image: Joannawnuk: 101905964/ 123rf.com)