How we pick our products
If you are interested in taking supplements, you have probably heard about the current debate surrounding Vitamin D3. The story is this: although this version of Vitamin D provides plenty of benefits for the health of bones and other tissues, detractors note that continued consumption of too much D3 can be harmful to a person’s blood vessels over time.
The good news is, a vitamin that has until now been underestimated, called menaquinone or “Vitamin K2,” seems to have te effect of boosting the beneficial effects of Vitamin D3, while at the same time protecting the body against its more harmful side effects. Sound too good to be true? Read on to find out more about this potent and protcetive combination of vitamins!
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 The Best Vitamin D3 and K2 Supplements on the UK Market
- 2.1 Best Nanoemulsified Vitamin D3 + K2 Supplement
- 2.2 Best Vitamin D3 + K2 Drops with MCT Oil
- 2.3 Best Vegetarian Vitamin K2 + D3 Supplement
- 2.4 Best Vitamin D + K2 Oral Spray for Kids
- 2.5 Best Vitamins D3 + K2 High Strength Tablets
- 2.6 Best Vegetarian & GMO Free Vitamin D3 & K2 Supplement
- 2.7 Best Vitamin D3 + K2 Liquid Drops with Olive Oil
- 2.8 Best Vegan Vitality Multivitamins & Minerals with High Strength Vitamin B12, D3 & K2
- 2.9 Best Vegan & Gluten Free Vitamin D3 + K2 Supplement with Omega 3
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Vitamin D3 & K2 Supplements
- 3.1 What is Vitamin D3?
- 3.2 Why is Vitamin D3 Considered better than Vitamin D2?
- 3.3 What is the Function of Vitamin D3?
- 3.4 Then what is Vitamin K2?
- 3.5 What is the difference between Vitamin K2 and Vitamin K1?
- 3.6 What role does Vitamin K2 play in the human body?
- 3.7 What is the relationship between Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2?
- 3.8 What are the recommended doses of Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2?
- 3.9 What are the results of a Vitamin D3 and K2 deficiency?
- 3.10 Which issues can arise from an imbalance of Vitamin D2 and K2?
- 3.11 How can I increase my levels of Vitamin D3 and K2?
- 3.12 Which foods are the best sources of Vitamin D3?
- 3.13 Which foods are the best sources of Vitamin K2?
- 3.14 Who should take a Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement?
- 3.15 What types of Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements are available on the market?
- 3.16 How much do Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements cost?
- 3.17 How do I take a Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement?
- 3.18 What types of benefits can I expect from taking a Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement?
- 3.19 Is it possible to take too much of a combination of Vitamin D3 and K2?
- 3.20 What adverse side effects can be caused by taking too much of a Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement?
- 3.21 What are the contraindications of Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Vitamin D3, or colecalciferol, is a form of Vitamin D which is present in foods derived from certain animals. Vitamin D3 can also be synthesised by the body from exposure to direct sunlight.
- Studies have linked excessive consumption of Vitamin D3 supplements to calcium buildup in the blood vessels, which can be very harmful to one’s health.
- Vitamin K2, until now recommended as a vital element for blood coagulation, can also reduce this calcium buildup in blood vessels and can make the consumption of Vitamin D3 supplements safer, so that you can take advantage of the positive effects of D3 without the dangerous side effects.
The Best Vitamin D3 and K2 Supplements on the UK Market
The sudden popolarity of Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement combinations has made finding the perfect of these combination products a difficult task. There are many choices appearing on the market and this can be overwhelming, especially if you do not have a lot of time to research these new wonder-supplements.
In this guide we have summarised the best vitamin D3 and K2 supplements on the market in 2021 for you. The following list provides details about the five best D3/K2 products based on their effectiveness, safety and value for money and saves you time.
- Best Nanoemulsified Vitamin D3 + K2 Supplement
- Best Vitamin D3 + K2 Drops with MCT Oil
- Best Vegetarian Vitamin K2 + D3 Supplement
- Best Vitamin D + K2 Oral Spray for Kids
- Best Vitamins D3 + K2 High Strength Tablets
- Best Vegetarian & GMO Free Vitamin D3 & K2 Supplement
- Best Vitamin D3 + K2 Liquid Drops with Olive Oil
- Best Vegan Vitality Multivitamins & Minerals with High Strength Vitamin B12, D3 & K2
- Best Vegan & Gluten Free Vitamin D3 + K2 Supplement with Omega 3
Best Nanoemulsified Vitamin D3 + K2 Supplement
Vitamin D may be one of the most critical nutrients for overall health. Vitamin D may allow our body to efficiently absorb calcium and can contribute to healthy bones. It may help with normal immune function, can help regulate inflammation, and can contribute to a balanced mood. Vitamin D is very effective when taken in conjunction with vitamin K.
Because vitamin D absorption can be impacted by diet, lifestyle, age, health, surgery, and genetic variation, Dr. Shade developed this NanoEmulsified Vitamin D3/K2, rendering both fat-soluble vitamins highly absorbable. This product is highly rated and each 0.5 mL delivers 2500 IU of vitamin D3 and 90 mcg of vitamin K2. A serving is one pump. Each bottle contains 100 servings. With a price tage of around £55.
Best Vitamin D3 + K2 Drops with MCT Oil
Vitamins D3 & K2 are natural partners. Most know the benefits of Vitamin D (maintaining strong bones, immune system support, healthy muscle function, etc.), but many don’t realise that Vitamin D benefits are enhanced when combined with Vitamin K2. Our powerful D3 + K2 formula is designed to help optimise your health.
Aside from being easier to consume, liquid drops also have a comparatively higher absorption rate when compared to supplements in solid form. Combining high quality ingredients with a higher absorption rate is what we like to refer to as the “Liquid Advantage.” Just the good stuff, Peppermint flavoured. NO gluten, sugar, milk, yeast, salt, or wheat. No unnecessary fillers are used. SBR Nutrition, are dedicated to enhancing your overall health and well-being. Their mission is to consistently deliver high quality products with a focus on helping you reach your wellness goals. Priced at under £25. and rated at 4.7 out of 5 stars, by thousnds of people in the Uk makes this a great Vitamin D3 +K2 supplement option fot you.
Best Vegetarian Vitamin K2 + D3 Supplement
Vitamins K2 & D3 were simply meant to be together. Most people know the benefits of Vitamin D (maintaining strong bones, immune system support, healthy muscle function, etc.), but many don’t realise that Vitamin D NEEDS Vitamin K2 to maximise it’s benefits. So, if you’re fighting Vitamin D deficiency, you need to supplement Vitamin K2 as well. TDN Nutrition K2+D3 has you covered- adding just the right amount of each Vitamin’s superior form for maximum results.
Vitamin D3 (termed the ‘sunshine vitamin’) is the same biologically active form of Vitamin D you get from the sun’s UVB rays. With this complex, you’ll get the benefits without the burn. D3 helps your body absorb the all-important calcium, and Vitamin K2 (as MK-7, the form of K2 with the highest bioavailability) directs the calcium to your bones instead of your joints and arteries, where too much calcium could be problematic.
Join thousands of happy customers enjoying our professionally developed, UK made supplements. TDN NUtrition have a strong commitment to providing each and every customer with unrivalled products and service. Using premium plant-based ingredients from natural sources meaning this product is vegetarian friendly we also double safety seal each product for consumer security and product freshness. With hundreds of good reviews, from happy UK customers, this is also an affordable option 120 capsules for under £15.
Best Vitamin D + K2 Oral Spray for Kids
BetterYou DLux+ Vitamin D+K2 Oral Spray is an optimum strength spray delivering 3000iu of vitamin D alongside 75μg of vitamin K2. Optimal support for bone health. K2 helps prevent aterial calcification. Effective and convenient alternative to tablets and capsules. The pioneering delivery method allows the vitamin D and K to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream, via the inner cheek, bypassing the digestive system where many nutrients may be lost.
BetterYou is a great supplement for your kids. Easy to use and Just with 3 sprays a day you cab Boost your Kids immune system. Well priced at under 8 Pounds, and highly rated with 4.7 out of 5 stars. Be sure to be giving your child a fantastic supplement.
Best Vitamins D3 + K2 High Strength Tablets
WeightWorld, With more than 14 years of experience formulating the best wellness solutions for their beloved customers, WeightWorld is the name you can trust! Their mission is to provide the highest quality supplements to help people achieve their personal goals. Whether you want to lose weight, gain weight, or embrace a healthy lifestyle, we’re here for you!
Experience the natural benefits of the concentrated Vitamin D3 formula for supporting your bones, skin & immune system on a day to day basis. This non GMO, veggie friendly formula also contains a serving of Vitamin K2 in every single tablet too.
This is to help your body more effectively absorb the supplement so that you can recieve the most benefits whenever you take this supplement. Enjoy a 6 month supply with just one bottle. A good value for money at around 12 Pounds, and well rated this is our last but not least recomended product.
Best Vegetarian & GMO Free Vitamin D3 & K2 Supplement
This product is a combination of vitamin D3 and vitamin K2. Vitamin D3’s natural partner is vitamin K2. So while Vitamin D alone may help with our calcium absorption, Vitamin K is the nutrient that helps our bones use that calcium effectively.
There is a 120 day supply capsule which are easy to swallow and vegetarian-friendly from a UK based company named Nutravita. Everything is manufactured here in the UK using the highest purity ingredients and safeguarded by the highest manufacturing standards in the world.
Best Vitamin D3 + K2 Liquid Drops with Olive Oil
In 3rd placed is MaxX Labs Vitamin D3 Liquid Drops with Vitamin K2 MK7. It is hypoallergenic, pure, and is formulated without preservatives, additives, colours, yeasts, egg, wheat, fish, salt, sugar, corn or gluten. This product is made in the USA and is great for anyone who struggles to swallow capsules, just 1 drop per day is all you need.
The ingredients also state olive oil which is a great combination of this supplement as it is fat soluble.
Best Vegan Vitality Multivitamins & Minerals with High Strength Vitamin B12, D3 & K2
This is a multivitamin designed for vegetarians and vegans. It also contains vitamin B12 which is essential for vegetarians and vegans along with 20 other vitamins and minerals, more than you will find in many other multivitamins.
Its high strength and premium quality formula is free from sugar, gluten, wheat, nuts, soy, eggs, GMO substances and all animal products. 180 capsules gives you 6 months supply. Why buy many different supplements when you can get everything you need here in 1 tablet.
Best Vegan & Gluten Free Vitamin D3 + K2 Supplement with Omega 3
The Dual vitamin has the perfect pair, K2+D3 but also has Omega 3 provides a unique and innovative formula that effectively combines all of these critical compounds. Vitamins K2 and D3 were simply meant to be together. People know the benefits of Vitamin D, but they don’t realize that Vitamin D needs Vitamin K2 to maximize benefits. If you have Vitamin D deficiency, you need to supplement Vitamin K2 as well. DUAL K2+D3+Omega 3 is adding just the right amount of each for maximum results.
The capsules are vegan friendly and easy to swallow. The bottle contains 80 capsules that are made in EU using the highest purity ingredients for quality, purity and potency. A great product with great reviews.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Vitamin D3 & K2 Supplements
Vitamin D is vital for maintaining the health of your bones, heart and brain. In its most potent form, Vitamin D3 stimulates the absorption of calcium from food. At the same time, Vitamin K2 ensures that calcium is deposited in your bones and teeth, where it is needed most.
What is Vitamin D3?
Vitamin D3 is a liposoluble molecule, meaning it can be stored in different types of fats in the body. Although there are five different variants of Vitamin D, the human body is only capable of absorbing two types: Vitamin D2 or “ergocalciferol” and Vitamin D3 or “colecalciferol.” Colecalciferol is more potent than ergocalciferol, but as mentioned above, Colecalciferol consumed alone can be dangerous. So what can we do to take enough D3 to say healthy without putting our blood vessels in danger? Read on to find out the easy solution to this dilemma.
Vitamin D2 can be found in some vegetables, while eating food products derived from animals certain mushrooms increases reserves of Vitamin D3 in the body. Exposure to sunlight, surprisingly, is also capable of promoting the production of colecalciferol. This is why Vitamin D3 is known as the “sunshine vitamin.”
Why is Vitamin D3 Considered better than Vitamin D2?
- Vitamin D2 or ergocalciferol is found in some plant-based foods, such as certain mushrooms, and the human body is able to produce Vitamin D2 through exposure to sunlight.
- Vitamin D3 or colecalciferol is present in many animal-based food products, such as fish, eggs and dairy products. Vitamin D3 is also absorbed by the skin when exposed to direct sunlight.
Nevertheless, studies have confirmed that Vitamin D3 produces a higher conversion of Vitamin D’s active formula, “calcitrol,” compared to Vitamin D2. Vitamin D3 stabilises Vitamin D levels and maintains these levels at a range of 60% higher than Vitamin D2 can. For this reason, colecalciferol is held in high esteem by the majority of nutritional experts and is widely recommended by healthcare and nutrition professionals.
Unfortunately, for vegans and vegetarians, most Vitamin D3 supplements do contain some type of ingredient derived from an animal product (usually fish oil). This can prsent a problem for vegans and vegetarians, who need to expose themselves to direct sunlight for 30 minutes every day, if they want to raise their Vitamin D3 reserves to appropriate levels.
What is the Function of Vitamin D3?
- Increases the absorption of calcium in the intestines
- Controls the levels of phosphorus and calcium in the kidneys
- Maintains bones and heals breaks
- Strengthens teeth
- Replaces deteriorated bone tissue
- Facilitates muscular contractions
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Controls inflammation
- Strengthens immune system
- Slows deterioration of neural tissues
- Regulates emotional fluctuations
- Regulates the production of hormones (estrogen and testosterone)
- Controls appetite
99% of Vitamin D stored in the body is used to regulate the levels of calcium in various tissues. The remaining 1% plays a vital role in the functions of different processes which are critical to the well-being of the body, such as maintaining a constant weight and developing strong muscles.
Then what is Vitamin K2?
There are five variants of this vitamin in existence. The two naturally-derived forms are Vitamin K1 or “phylloquinone” (found in leafy greens) and Vitamin K2 or “menaquinone” (foundin animal food products as well as fermented foods and cheese or soy-based products such as nattō).
What is the difference between Vitamin K2 and Vitamin K1?
Although both vitamins are equally essential elements, and both are required for the activation of proteins which regulate coagulation and other metabolic processes in the body, Vitamin K2 is known to lower calcium deposits in our blood vessels and to improve vascular health. Vitamin K1, on the other hand, does not perform this function.
Various studies have shown that older people (especially women), who maintain elevated levels of Vitamin K2 report lower incidences of of osteoporosis and calcification of the arteries, something that does not happen among consumers of K1. This is the main difference between the two molecules.
What role does Vitamin K2 play in the human body?
Vitamin K2 has several characteristics which are found exclusively in this substance. The table below compares the benefits of all forms of Vitamin K on one side, and those particular to menaquinone (Vitamin K2) on the other.
|Functions of Vitamin K||Functions exclusively performed by Vitamin K2|
|Performs coagulation||Mineralisation of bones|
|Formation of bones||Prevention of arterial calcification|
|Neuroprotection||Prevention of calcification in the heart|
|Cellular antioxidant||Strengthens tooth enamel|
|Boosts immunity||Cutaneous cellular antioxidant|
|Energy metabolism regulator||Regulates hormone production (raises testosterone in men and reduces testosterone in women)|
Vitamin K2 is a nutrient that has not been studied in depth until recently. More testing is needed to officially confirm its potential health benefits. However, the most recent studies have yielded very promising results and confirm how helpful Vitamin K2 is for general health.
What is the relationship between Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2?
Vitamin K2 also contributes to the mineralisation of bones. It activates a group of very fine proteins present in the tissue of bones and teeth. It increases the quantity of minerals which are deposited in bones, and decreases the concentration of calcium, which can have a detrimental effect on the function of other organs in the body.
For this reason, many nutrition experts consider these vitamins as synergistic. That means that they are capable of working together to increase the potency of the beneficial effects they provide. Vitamin K2 permits Vitamin D3 to perform well, but at the same time, prevents the adverse side effects associated with Vitamin D3 supplements containing heavy doses.
What are the recommended doses of Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2?
In the case of Vitamin D3, the RDI can be quantified by the International Unit (IU), which is a parameter that measures the level of biological activity in nanograms (ng) or in micrograms (μg). The RDI for Vitamin K2 is measured in micrograms. The following table contains the RDI for each of these nutrients:
|Group||RDI Vitamin D3||RDI Vitamin K2 (ug)|
|Babies 0-6 months||400 IU or 10 μg||2 μg|
|Babies 6-12 months||400 IU or 10 μg||2.5 μg|
|Children 1-3 years||600 IU or 15 μg||30 μg|
|Children 4-8 years||600 IU or 15 μg||55 μg|
|Adolescents 9-18 years||600 IU or 15 μg||60 μg|
|Adults up to 70 years||600 IU or 15 μg||75 μg|
|Women over 70 years||800 IU or 20 μg||90 μg|
|Men over 70 years||800 IU or 20 μg||120 μg|
What are the results of a Vitamin D3 and K2 deficiency?
A vitamin D3 deficiency is very common. It is estimated that around 30-80% of the population worldwide suffers from some type of deficiency of this vitamin, caused mainly by reduced exposure to sunlight, the popularity of sunscreen and the rise in the number of people living a sedentary, indoor lifestyle.
Certain individuals within the population are at a much higher risk of suffering from a hypovitaminosis (lack) of Vitamins D3 or K3 than the general population. People who appear on the following list should carefully plan their diets,in order to avoid developing an imbalance relating to the absorption or the accumulation of these vitamins:
- People over the age of 60: The capacity to absorb, store and synthesise vitamins decreases over time.
- People who work a night shift, inside an office, and students: Exposure to sunlight is lower than the suggested levels recommended to maintain appropriate intake of Vitamin D3 at a healthy rate.
- People with darker skin: Skin which contains more melanin is less capable of absorbing the rays of the sun and creating Vitamin D3.
- Vegans and vegetarians: Colecalciferol and menaquinone are difficult to find in a plant-based diet, which increases the probability of developing a deficiency of these nutrients.
- People who frequently use sunscreen: While blocking out ultraviolet radiation, the absorption of Vitamin D3 from the sun is impeded by the use of sunscreen.
- People with chronic intestinal illnesses: The absorption of all vitamins (D3 and K2 included) can be affected in cases of malabsorption (as with ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease or Celiac disease, etc.).
- People who regularly take antibiotics: Good bacteria in the intestines help the absorption of Vitamin K2. The destruction of these bacteria from the use of antibiotics can lower the amount of Vitamin K2 in the body.
- People who consume excessive amounts of alcohol: Alcohol is an oxidant which limits the absorption of K2 and prevents it from functioning properly.
Which issues can arise from an imbalance of Vitamin D2 and K2?
Issues resulting from a Vitamin K2 deficiency will significantly reduce the body’s capacity to coagulate blood. Even light physical contact can result in hematomas, wounds or bleeding (for example hemorrhages in the gums after the brushing of teeth). For women in particular, there are many serious complications that can arise with a K2 deficiency.
On the other hand, if the levels of Vitamin D3 remain high, but the levels of Vitamin K2 decrease, their is a greater risk that calcium derived from food or supplements can be deposited in arteries, causing hypertension and harming the kidneys and the heart in a slow and insidious manner, as discussed.
How can I increase my levels of Vitamin D3 and K2?
For people who do not want to expose themselves to solar radiation, there is the option of consuming this vitamin through their diet. Animal-based foods such as chicken livers, salmon and egg yolks are especially rich in Vitamin D3. Unfortunately, there are no vegan foods containing Vitamin D3.
Getting enough Vitamin K2 is much more difficult, especially if following a western diet. This nutrient is found only in small quantities in certain animal-based food products, such as goose livers or free range chicken eggs. It is more abundantly found in fermented foods such as nattō and certain cheeses.
Which foods are the best sources of Vitamin D3?
|Food||Approx. concentration (IU)||% RDI (for an adult)|
|Cod liver oil (1 tablespoon)||500||80|
|Salmon (75 g)||350||60|
|Tuna (75 g)||150||25|
|Sardines (75 g)||150||25|
|Fortified milk (250 ml)||100||15|
|Egg yolk (unit)||45||8|
|Veal livers (75 g)||35||6|
|Fortified margarine (1 tablespoon)||30||5|
Although the absorption of Vitamin D3 from food is less efficient than from exposure to sunlight, a varied diet, rich in these products can provide a sufficient quantity of colecalciferol for healthy bones. It can also generally improve mental and cardiac health.
Which foods are the best sources of Vitamin K2?
Fermented foods that are rich in menaquinone should be refrigerated and stored properly to avoid the deterioration of the K2 they contain. The following table lists the various foods that are rich in Vitamin K2, both animal-based and fermented:
|Food||Approx. concentration (ɥg)||% RDI(For an adult)|
|Goose paté (100g)||369||500|
|Hard cheeses: parmesan, emmental and gruyere (100g)||75||100|
|Soft cheeses (100g)||50||65|
|Free range egg yolks||32||45|
|Barn-laid egg yolks||15||20|
|Chicken breast (100g)||9||12|
|Veal livers (100g)||5||7|
|Full cream milk (100 ml)||1||1|
Who should take a Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement?
- People over the age of 60
- Strict vegans and vegetarians
- People who do not get a lot of direct sunlight
- Postmenopausal women, especially those suffering from a loss in bone density
- People who are obese
- People who have had bariatric surgery or some type of intestinal resection
- People with cardiovascular problems (hypertension, heart failure)
- People who follow very restrictive or unbalanced diets
- People with kidney failure
The combination of Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 is particularly beneficial to people with a family history of cardiac problems associated with coronary artery calcification (CAC). In this case, Vitamin K2 impedes the buildup of calcium in the arteries, which can be a side effect of taking a Vitamin D3 supplement.
What types of Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements are available on the market?
In the case of Vitamin K2, there are numerous isoforms (or molecular variants) available for use as a food supplement. The varieties of Vitamin K2 most commonly used in supplements are known as “Vitamin K2 MK-4” and “Vitamin K2 MK-7.” Their effect on the human body can be easily summed up as follows:
- Vitamin K2 MK-4: MK-4 is Vitamin K2 in its most active form. This substance is rapidly absorbed and stored in the brain, arteries, the pancreas and saliva glands.
- Vitamin K2 MK-7: MK-7 is the form of Vitamin K2 that penetrates most easily into bone and liver tissue. This is where Vitamin K2 is metabolised into MK-4 to produce all of its beneficial effects.
The use of a Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement which contains equal amounts of both isoforms of menaquinone is recommended by experts. This is so that the Vitamin K2 can evenly reach every part of the body where it is required, allowing bones, arteries, kidneys and brain tissue to be equally protected.
How much do Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements cost?
100% vegan supplements, products that contain other vitamins, minerals or plant extracts and those available from well known-brands may come with a higher price tag. However, there are often limited-time promotions and sales available that can make these supplements a much less expensive option.
How do I take a Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement?
- How much should I take? You should choose a supplement that provides the daily recommended intake (RDI) of Vitamin D3 and K3. The majority of the products on the market offer much higher amounts of colecalciferol and menaquinone than the RDI. This means that a single daily dose of each supplement will be sufficient for most people.
- What proportion of each vitamin should I take? You should take an adequate amount of Vitamin K2 to ensure that the Vitamin D3 functions properly, and also to prevent arterial hardening which results from the improper depositing of calcium. For this to be achieved, it is recommended that the chosen supplement should contain at least 45 ɥg of Vitamin K2 per 1000 IU of colecalciferol.
- Should I take these supplements with or without food? As both Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 are liposoluble molecules, they will be absorbed more efficiently if they are taken with food, especially when accompanied by fatty or oily foods. A salad dressed with olive oil, for example, will help the supplement to assimilate more readily.
What types of benefits can I expect from taking a Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement?
- An increase in muscle strength and endurance
- A decrease in blood pressure
- An increase in bone density with lowered occurrence of fractures
- A decrease in the occurrence of heart or coronary disease
- An improvement of the function of blood vessels, whit a decrease in the prevalence of varicose veins
- A strengthening of tooth enamel and a lowered occurrence of tooth decay
- An increase in energy levels
- Protection against various viral and bacterial infections
- An overall improvement of mental health
- The preservation of mental abilities, especially of memory
- A decrease of LDL, or “bad” cholesterol
- Increases coagulation and helps to stop bleeding
- An improvement in skin appearance
- Relief from the symptoms of psoriasis and other inflammatory diseases
- Bruises heal much more quickly
- Regulation of testosterone production in men
- An improvement of the symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome for women
- Increased insulin response, with lowered levels of blood glucose
Many studies have confirmed the link between the levels of these vitamins and lower incidences of cancer. Various articles have been published (on breast cancer, colon cancer and prostate cancer among others), which offer promising results for the potential antitumoral properties of these substances.
Is it possible to take too much of a combination of Vitamin D3 and K2?
Vitamin K2 is also a liposoluble substance. Paradoxically, toxic side effects from the consumption of K2 have not been reported, even at extremely high doses (100 or more times higher than the RDI). This is why there is no consensus for an upper daily limit for the intake of menaquinone.
It is generally advised that people avoid ingesting more than 4000 IU of Vitamin D3 per day. It is also important to choose a supplement that contains 45 ug of menaquinone per 1000 IU of colecalciferol, which will help to mitigate the unwanted side effects discussed above. Although there is no agreed-upon limit of Vitamin K2 that can be taken daily, it shouldn’t be more than the RDI.
What adverse side effects can be caused by taking too much of a Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement?
Common adverse side effects: It is possible that some minor adverse side effects can occur when you begin taking these supplements. These can be things like flatulence, abdominal pain and swelling of the belly. These side effects should dissipate gradually, once your body gets used to digesting the supplement.
Less common adverse side effects: Some unpleasant symptoms have been reported with the use of Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements, such as nausea, vomiting and severe abdominal pain. These side effects are much less common than those mentioned in the above category. They may require an adjustment to your daily dose, or the supplement may need to stop being taken altogether.
Very uncommon adverse side effects: These are very rare and often appear with more serious symptoms, such as intense vomiting and diarrhoea, loss of appetite and muscle deterioration. In this case it is recommended to immediately cease taking the supplement and consult your doctor.
What are the contraindications of Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements?
People with liver or kidney problems have a sensitive metabolism and should consult a health professional before starting to take these vitamins. It is also not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding to take this supplement without medical supervision.
Lastly, it is necessary to take into account any possible adverse interactions between these vitamins and more well-known medical treatments. If you regularly consume any of the prescription drugs on the following list, be sure to take Vitamins D3 and K2 only under supervision of a doctor:
- Warfarin (anticoagulant Vitamin K antagonist)
- Treatment for chronic renal failure
- Lipid-lowering drugs (medicines to lower cholesterol)
- Medication for the treatment of psoriasis
- Some antibiotics, such as tetracyclines
- Digoxin (antiarrhythmic treatment)
- Antihypertensive drugs
- Thyroid hormone
- Certain diuretics
The most important criteria you should keep in mind when choosing a Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement are discussed below, so that you are confident that your purchase suits your needs. The following guide lists the most commonly found features of this type of product. Taking these into consideration when making your purchase, will help you to choose a product that is of high quality and works best for your individual needs.
In rare cases, allergic reactions can happen with the use of Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements. Sometimes symptoms of hypersensitivity can be caused by the bulking agents used in a certain product. Carefully check the active as wel lasn inactive ingredients of the supplement before you take it, if you are allergic to anything like gluten or dairy.
View this post on Instagram
Sports Research nutrition, supplements and sports equipment🏋️♀️ 15% DISCOUNT at #iHerb! Shop with Promo Code ⏩APY8057⏪ for additional discounts (+10% discount for New customers GUARANTEED!) Get in shape 🏋️♂️with SR & iHerb 🙌🏻💪🏻 • 🇺🇸 For the contiguous United States – Flat $4 Shipping on Orders Under $20 – Free Shipping on Orders Over $20 🇺🇸 • ➡️ LINK IN BIO – discount will be applied at Checkout • • • #iherbpromocode #iherbpromocode #iherbdiscount #iherbsale #bodybuilding #cranberry #protein #vitamink #vitamind3 #vitamins #collagen #workout #ketodiet #paleodiet #proteinpowder #proteinshake #musclerecovery #paleodiet #postworkout #vitamind #collagendrink #herbalife #ketones #sportsresearch #omega3 #keto #bonebroth #supplements #herbalife24
Vegan and Vegetarian Friendly
It can be challenging to find Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements for vegans and vegetarians. Cholecalciferol is a compound found almost exclusively in animal-based foods. This is the reason why many vegans and vegetarians prefer to use Vitamin D2 supplements, that can be made from plant-based ingredients.
Recently, however, a number of Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements suitable for vegans and vegetarians have arrived on the market. According to manufactures, colecalciferol can be obtained from mushrooms or lichens that are specially cultivated for this purpose. These can be a great option for anyone who doesn’t want to miss out on adding these supplements to their regime, but does not want to use animal products.
View this post on Instagram
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "My son doesn’t complain about taking these vitamins since it’s like candy." -Winter., Mauricettes Chewable D3 with K2 user. https://www.mauricettes.com/products/organic-turmeric-with-organic-black-pepper #vitamind3 #getmauricettes #vitamink2 #vitamind #vitamink #vitaminsandsupplements #getoutdoors #sunshinevitamin #vitamink2mk7 #vitamin #vitamind3k2 #instahealthy #instahealth #nongmo #sun #vitaminddeficiency #braindevelopment #affordablypriced #researchbacked #honestingredients vitaminDsunshine vitamindawareness
Certain Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements can contain minerals like calcium, phosphorus or magnesium. Many experts recommend choosing a supplement that contains magnesium. The absorption of calcium and phosphorus is already increased by the ingestion of Vitamin D3, so it is not necessary to take an additional supplement for these minerals.
It is recommended that you carefully check the the dose of Vitamin D3 of your supplement of colecalciferol with the level of menaquinone it contains. The dose of D3 should never exceed 4000 IU. A much safer range is somewhere within the RDI of 800 – 100 IU. Ask your doctor or nutritionist if you are not sure.
Value for Money
The beneficial effects that are achieved from taking Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements can be felt within a few short weeks of beginning the treatment. However, these products must be used for at least 6 months to resolve an acute case of hypovitaminosis. You should always buy a large quantity of supplements at once, which will save you money in the long term.
How the Supplement is Taken?
With Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements, the method by which they are taken will not influence either the absorption or the effectiveness of the product to any great extent. Therefore, we recommend that you just choose the formula that suits your budget, preference and lifestyle the best. There are a variety of products that allow you to take your supplements in many different ways:
- Tablets: Tablets have a coating that masks any unpleasant taste and and makes them easier to swallow.
- Soft Capsules: This type of supplement is especially suitable for people who have difficulty swallowing hard pills.
- Oral Spray: This ingenious method permits the avoidance of pills altogether. Some products are able to be sprayed on food for discomfort free supplementation.
- Drops: This method uses an eyedropper that allows you to easily measure the dose of the supplement you are taking and take an easy-to-swallow liquid.
- Powder: If you opt for this method, you can mix the powder into a puree, drink or breakfast smoothie. This form also allows the dose to be adjusted more precisely than other methods.
The combination of Vitamins D3 and K2 has made a big impression in the world of supplements. When taken together, these two nutrients make an unbeatable team, providing the advantages of colecalciferol, and at the same time, lowering the severity of the unwanted side effects of Vitamin D3 alone. Its antioxidant properties make this supplement an important part of any health regime.
If you follow our advice, you can get the most out of your Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement combination. If used judiciously, this product will protect your bones and your cardiovascular system at the same time. Now you can enjoy a more active life, free from the ailments you have endured for years. Make sure you add this incredible supplement pair to your regime!
If you have enjoyed our guide about Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements, please leave a comment and share this article in your social media platforms.
(Source for featured image: McAdam: 76443287/ 123rf.com)